Dates from 1753, making it one of the oldest archives in North America, older than any state archives as well as the United States Archives;
Houses more than a million pages of handwritten documents representing the total community, not simply church or religious records (collections include the records of industrial, commercial, civic, ecclesiastical, educational, medical, and musical institutions as well as personal diaries and correspondence, ethnographic materials, prints, broadsides, photographs, and maps);
Maintains a Research Library of 1,600 titles, many from the 18th century;
Serves more than 470 users per year;
Answers approximately 110 genealogical inquiries annually, more than half requiring substantial research;
Provides ongoing research guidance of various graduate degree studies, having fostered numerous doctoral dissertations and masters theses over the years;
Publishes books, monographs, and periodicals;
Operates on a budget supported 100% by the Moravian Church, Southern Province, Salem Congregation, our Friends of the Archives (see our Friends page), and grants.
This Day In History
1759 Eight refugee families living at the Bethabara mill petition to become residents of the new community of Bethania. August Gottlieb Spangenberg takes this opportunity to build Bethania with a mixture of "strangers" and members of the Moravian Church
1899 The United States Post Office begins to use the postmark “Winston-Salem.”
1953 The Southern Province of the Moravian Church is accepted as a full member of the World Council of Churches.
1955 The Southern and Northern Provinces assume responsibility for the Eastern West Indies Province and the British Guiana mission from the British Province.
1955 Olivet is organized as a separate congregation from Bethania.
1966 W. Herbert Spaugh retires as pastor of Little Church on the Lane. He has served a single pastorate longer than any other pastor of the Southern Province: 42 years. He is second only to William E. Spaugh, who served St. Philips (as well as several other churches) for 45 years.
457 S. Church Street
Winston-Salem, N.C. 27101