1794 The Boys School building, across from the northwest corner of Salem Square, opens its doors to young scholars.
1841 Bishop William Henry Van Vleck and his family move into the new brick parsonage in Salem, which in later years will be known as the “Bishop’s House” of Home Moravian Church.
1847 Jacob F. Siewers and his family set out from Salem, North Carolina, to begin a mission to slaves at Woodstock, a plantation owned by E. R. Alberti in Florida. Disagreements with Alberti will lead to the closing of the mission in 1853.
1861 The 1823 log church was used for the last time by the African congregation in Salem. The next Sunday the congregation will worship in its new brick church.
1892 The People’s Press, recently sold by Levi and Edward Blum, publishes its last issue. Since its first issue in 1851 the weekly newspaper had served as the unofficial publication of the Southern Province.
457 S. Church Street
Winston-Salem, N.C. 27101